Friday, May 21, 2010

Hong Kong Style French Toast.... With a Twist!

Okay, so Hong Kong style French toast is a popular food item in Western-style restaurants there. It's essentially the same as the original.... except it's two pieces of bread with a generous portion of peanut butter and condensed milk in the center (sometimes a little butter too), deep fried with an eggy-milk coating and served with more condensed milk or honey for dipping.... and has a nice fat slice of butter on top. It's mighty tasty, though not all that good for you.


I've made it before, but now that I'm home in Ohio, I find that I have no peanut butter. I refused to believe this, and after obsessively searching, I found organic chocolate flavored paenut butter... Hmmmm.... So I tweaked the recipe a little bit to include the chocolaty spread and added a few slices of bananas... to make me feel better about eating it. Also, peanut butter and chocolate go great with bananas.

Hong Kong Style French Toast.... With a Twist!


Ingredients:
 
Sliced bread, this can be anything but I prefer Italian style bread for this. Also, if it's a little dry that's good; it won't get too soggy.
Peanut butter
1/2 Banana, sliced
2 medium sized eggs
A splash of milk


1. Spread a generous amount of peanut butter on both pieces of bread.
2. Put 2-3 slices of banana onto the bread. Sandwich the bread.

3. Whisk the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl.

4. Add oil to a skillet, about..... 2-3 tablespoons? I dunno, really. I never measure. Just add what feels right to fry up the toast. Turn to medium high heat.
5. Evenly coat your peanut butter and banana sandwiches in the eggy mix. Place them in the heated skillet.

6. Cook and flip them till evenly browned on each side.
(Mom placed some shrimp chips on the side to soak up some excess oil, 
that's what those little things are)
7. Plate and serve!

2 comments: