Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beijing Winter of 2008


2008 I went to Beijing and Hong Kong with my Dad to visit relatives and also to see the sights. I also saw food:

On the streets there were tons of yummy treats, Dad and I indulged a little :)


Dad got chicken and I got squid.. both on a stick! There were all sorts of stalls and stuff selling everything from scorpions, starfish and other goodies.



On this one strip, all those lanters hanging in a row are food stalls!

The next day I got one of the sweet things from a stall. It was hawthorn berries with walnuts all encased in sugar. It was wrapped in edible rice paper to keep from sticking to me. 



After going around for a while, Dad and I had hot pot for dinner.



We also got taken to this theme restaurant the next day by some of Dad's students. It was a very interesting experience.








And we even had entertainment!



Dad also took me to the faculty restaurant place at the University there. I had soup with a seahorse and other interesting a tasty items.



 I believe this was a type of soup dumpling

 Sea urchin!
 Dad ordered something sweet for me. I do like pastries...
Aaaaannnd..... I forgot what this was, but it looks good nonetheless.


2 comments:

  1. Dang, I am seriously jealous for the food selections you had. Mom, Dad, and I got a tour from a guide, so while we saw a lot of interesting cultural sites, we didn't have as much freedom when it came to eating amazing cuisine. The seahouse soup and soup dumping look particularly interesting.

    And I know what the red fruits on the stick are. They're hawthorne berries (I ate some too in Beijing). Do you remember when we were kids and we used to eat those red coin-sized candies in the rolls of paper? That's what those candies are made from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...seahorse...? :-(

    ReplyDelete