Friday, April 23, 2010

Wagashi

Wagashi: A type of Japanese confection. There are tons of different types, some with fruit, other with sweet pastes, kinds made of agar agar (like jello, but made from seaweed), mochi... and the lists go on.

One of my favorite things about these little treats is how beautiful they look.



Isn't that just divine?

One of my first introductions to wagashi was when I was.... 13? Around there... Anyhow, my aunt give my sister and I these beautiful packages from a place called Minamoto Kitchoan. They were soooo pretty, and tasty too. Mildly sweet. The jelly ones were a little chewey, but the taste was good. Like most Japanese food, it has a gentleness to it.

Wagashi is best enjoyed with tea, which is how it is usually served. If you come across some, go for it and give it a try :)

For those of you who are interested in Minamoto Kitchoan, here is their page: http://www.kitchoan.com/E/index_b_natsu2004_e.html


 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have a great memory for food. I don't remember Minamoto Kitchoan at all. The first time I ever consciously having wagashi was at the Japanese Spring Festival hosted by the Japanese Student Association at OSU. You're right, they are best had with tea. Dark, bitter tea. Mmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I totally ate these and my host mother never told me what they were called, I've been trying to explain them to people for years. XDDD Thank you, darling, for finally giving me their name.

    But now I REALLY need to eat some. Crap. XD

    ReplyDelete