Sunday, April 25, 2010

Caramel Apple Pie

What goes together better than a tart apple with sweet, creamy caramel? Well, a slice of cheddar.... or peanut butter... but anyway, the point is: I made pie. I did this at.... 2 in the morning after not being able to sleep.

First off, pies need the right kind of apple. Usually, for apple pies, I like to use pink lady apples which are great. They have the right mix of tart and sweet and have a nice, crisp bite.



However, for caramel apples, Granny Smith are the way to go. I honestly can't remember the last time i bought Granny Smith apples. They are so very tart. But since the caramel will have a lot of sugar and cream it'll offset the sourness.

 I usually never use measuring tools in the kitchen because it doesnt have to be precise, but for the sake of posting a recipe, I'm guesstemating... I also cheated a tad bit and used pre-made Werther's Caramels and also pre-made pie crusts you can get in the frozen section. Usually, I really do like making things from scratch... yet pie crusts have always seemed tedious to me. As for the caramels, I can snack on the candies I don't use :)

Caramel Apple Pie

Apple part:
12 Granny Smith Apples (the smaller type ones you can buy in bulk. This may seem like a lot, but it yeilds a nice domed pie) peeled, cored and sliced thin
1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and salt
2 tbsp flour (in my case I only had glutinous rice flour on hand. I've been using that in place as a thickener for a while. It cooks up a lit smoother and doesnt have a taste of its own, like what flour does)



Caramel Part:
About 24 Werthers Chewy Caramels chopped up into 2 or 3 pieces each for faster melting time
1/4 cup cream or milk (I had milk on hand, so I used that, but cream or half and half would make it more rich)
2 or 3 pinches of salt
2 tbsp butter ( I used ghee, which has that wonderful butter aroma and taste without as much fat)
Chopped peanuts or almonds optional



Preheat the oven to 350 and also take out the pie shells and let them thaw about halfway through the pie-making. I use two pie shells, one for the top, the other for the bottom.

1. Wash, peel, core and cut the apples into thin slices.

2. Put them in a pot and add the spices and flour until all the pieces are thinly coated.
3. Turn stove on to medium and cook apples until about 1/3 of the way done. Let cool for about 20 mins.
4. Combine milk, caramels and salt in a saucepan and set on medium heat. Stir it so the caramels dont stick to the bottom and burn.

5. Once the caramels have melted, continue to cook the mixture on medium or medium low. Allow for it to cook down to about 2/3 the orginal volume.
6. Once it's cooked down, add the butter and nuts, if you have them.

6. Set aside and let cool till it's a soft spreadable consistancy.... kind of like toothpaste? No... bad analogy, more like runny peanut butter...? I'm going to stop... neither of those things sound appealing...
7. When both items are relatively cool, combine them in the apple pot, but use only half the caramel mixture. Make sure all the apples get a bit of a coating from the caramel goodness.

8. Pour filling into shell carefully. There will be a lot of apples, so encourage them into a nice heaping pile. Pour the rest of the caramel on top.

9. Place other pie shell on top. You may want to take it out and roll over it with a rolling pin, so it's easier to drape over...of you can be lazy like me and not... make sure to wipe the edges with water to help seal the edges. Crimp edges with a fork to ensure sealed-ness.

10. Cut slits in the top and brush with egg whites to give it that Betty Crocker look. I did not have egg whites today, but trust me, it looks awful spiffy.

11. Place on baking sheet, just in case there is drippage from the caramel, and pop into the oven for... a while? I go by smell, if it is wafting all through the house/apartment and is nicely browned on the top then I say it's done. Let's pretend that's about 30-40 mins.
12. When it's done, let it cool for forty-five mins to an hour-ish so you do not burn your mouth on the really hot caramel.

Okaaaaay...... so, to be honest, I'm forgetful. The moral of this story, do not be forgetful. Yes, it got burned, but have no fear, it's only a little extra toasty!



Now eat it! :D

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this really looks great!
    I have tried many apple pies, but I am not sure I have had one with caramel. Hope that someone will make that for me one day!

    Yes, to have good food with a great gathering with family and friends company are the real blessings of life.

    ReplyDelete